Friday, January 28, 2005

Defying threats, many in Baghdad plan to vote(Reuters)28 January 2005
BAGHDAD - Despite threats by insurgents to kill anyone who votes, many Iraqis in Baghdad say they are determined to take part in Sunday’s watershed election.
“I have to vote because our situation is so unstable. Criminals with weapons think they can rule, but on Sunday the peaceful majority will silence them,” said Sarmad Basheer, a 42-year-old Sunni Muslim.
“I’m not scared because these terrorists are losing and even if I died, I would become a martyr.”
The government has announced extraordinary security measures to try to protect the polls. Land borders have been closed and curfews have been extended at night. On polling day, all non-official traffic will be banned from the streets.
“I’m definitely not scared because I’m confident that the security will be sufficient. The terrorists are cowards and traitors, they hit unprotected targets,” said Muhsin, an elderly man, while watering his garden.
“I’m going to vote for 169 or 285,” he said, referring to the numbers identifying a Shi’ite alliance expected to win the most support in the election and a secular list of candidates headed by interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, a Shi’ite.
Most Iraqi Shi’ites, oppressed for decades under Saddam Hussein, strongly support the elections. But several leading Sunni Arab parties have pulled out of the polls, saying guerrilla violence will prevent Sunnis from voting.
“I’m not going to vote because no one in my area speaks about elections and besides, I would have voted for the Iraqi Islamic party but they pulled out,” said Hamid al-Jubouri, a 31-year-old Sunni Arab shopkeeper.
But he said ordinary Iraqis had no desire to see civil war.
“I’m not willing to fight a civil war and neither is any other Sunni I know,” Jubouri said.
Abu Omar, a 73-year-old Iraqi living in Baghdad’s southern Seydiya neighbourhood, said he just hoped the polls would bring more stability to Iraq.
“I am a Sunni but my four sons married Shi’ite women. Saddam has gone and we are all glad. All we hope is for us all to live in peace,” he said, adding that he would vote for the group headed by secular Sunni elder statesman Adnan Pachachi.
Najla al-Ani, a 21-year-old biology student, said she would vote for candidates who had promised to press for a withdrawal of U.S.-led foreign troops.
“I am patriotic and I would love to vote but I’m scared,” she said. “I might go and vote in another area.”
Ani said most Iraqis were sick of violence and the insurgents were increasingly reviled.
“These criminals who chop off heads are losing support in areas that initially welcomed them,” she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home